First time when I heard the expression superfoods, I thought of Acai berry, Goji berry or some berries full of antioxidants that are growing in tropics. But when I started to research food that is healthy, that should help me and my son, foods that were on my list were all also on the sites that talked about superfoods. Then I decided to research all superfoods and see if there any that I like to eat, besides the ones that we already discovered when we made a list of foods that alleviate ADHD. By definition, superfoods are foods that are beneficial for health and can help with some medical conditions. They’re calorie sparse and nutrient dense. They’re also whole foods and not the factory food from the box or a can. Surge of processed foods pretty much destroyed health in westernized countries and the results are obesity, heart problems, high pressure, cancers, high blood sugar and high cholesterol. Processed foods fuels inflammations in our bodies. Superfoods are everything that processed foods are not. Superfoods lower risk of heart disease and cancer, they’re anti-inflammatory, lower cholesterol and blood sugar without any side effects. Processed foods increase risk of heart disease, increase blood sugar level, cholesterol and excessive sugar in them feeds cancer cells. Processed foods are loaded with saturated fats, sodium, sugar, artificial colors and nasty chemicals and provide little or none nutritional value. Superfoods are full of flavonoids, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, proteins, complex carbs and healthy fats. Superfoods are filling, so you can enjoy plenty of food without excess calories. Not all calories are the same. 300 calories from a candy bar and 300 calories from grilled chicken breasts with large fiber loaded salad seasoned with olive oil are not the same. Superfoods meal provides much more water, fiber, is much more bulky, healthier and will keep you fuller and satisfied much longer. Fiber and protein will lower your cholesterol and blood sugar and you will lose sweets cravings after a 10-15 days of eating superfoods. Can a person live on superfoods only? Of course it can!!! My family switched to superfoods in 2009 and we’re much healthier since then. Both I and my wife lost all excess fat since then and my lab results are stellar now.
Let me introduce you to superfoods we eat daily:
– Breakfast superfoods: eggs, boiled or scrambled or just about any way you want them, with tomato, peppers or cucumber: oatmeal with sunflower seeds, flax meal, cinnamon, cocoa and 1 tbsp. honey; oatmeal and low fat Greek yogurt; farmers cheese and some salad with 1 tsp olive oil
– Lunch superfoods: lentil stew, chicken and cauliflower casserole, lean beef and broccoli casserole, stir fry chicken/lean beef/lean pork and peppers/broccoli/celery accompanied with brown rice or quinoa, tuna and beans salad, cauliflower and boiled eggs salad, thick bean stew, lean beef meatballs/cauliflower casserole/coconut chicken curry with brown rice
– Dinner superfoods: grilled chicken/lean pork/salmon/ground “lean grass fed beef” patty with large fiber loaded salad (spinach/lettuce/shredded cabbage/sauerkraut/ broccoli/cauliflower/ celery/kale/ dandelion leaves) seasoned with olive oil, sea salt, mustard or plain yogurt or buttermilk or any super herbs. Superfoods stir fries or casseroles or stews when we don’t have them for lunch.
– Superfoods snacks: Oh boy, this is easy. Any superfood fruits or nuts or seeds or plain low fat yogurt with berries or veggies. Apples, pears, oranges, carrots, plums, melons, pomegranates, grapefruit, apricots, banana, almonds, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, low fat plain yogurt with any berries.
– Superfoods sweets: You thought that there won’t be any, didn’t you :-)? Want to hear a 3 ingredient recipe for superfoods dark chocolate? Coconut oil, organic unprocessed cocoa and raw honey to taste, mix all and refrigerate. Maybe a pinch of sea salt or half a teaspoon of cinnamon? Coconut is one of the best superfoods and you can easily make homemade bounty bars: mix shredded unsweetened coconut flakes with a little bit of honey to taste and with some cream of coconut or coconut oil, make small mounds, freeze them and cover them with melted superfoods dark chocolate. Made homemade almond butter, roll it to a small balls and cover it with melted superfoods dark chocolate and you have home made Superfoods Reese cups. Mix any ground nuts and seeds with some honey or mashed banana, make balls and refrigerate them. Freeze banana and later put in blender with some cocoa or cinnamon of both and eat it as an ice cream. Do the same with banana and some almond butter. Or just eat a mango or a peach. Possibilities are endless.
So, it’s possible to live entirely on Superfoods and never again to touch refined foods. If you’re missing KFC, you can dip some chicken breast stripes in egg mixture, bread them with flax meal and bake them in the oven. Superfoods fried food with zero saturated fats and Omega-3 from flax :-). Eat it with some fiber loaded salad seasoned with olive oil and you’ll get absolutely healthy meal with healthy fats that tastes wonderfully. Fat is what gives food great taste and superfoods have some best tasting fats on the planet. Coconut oil, olive oil, fatty salmon, avocado, all those healthy nuts and seeds. Food doesn’t have to have trans saturated fats that will clog your veins to taste good. On the contrary, eat healthy fats and they will unclog your veins. And they taste better. You are what you eat. Junk or Super?