Inspired by Chicken Navy Bean Soup @ BitesofBri
Chicken and Navy Bean Soup
Author: Don Orwell
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced with seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped dry chilies
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 1/2 tsp basil
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 grilled chicken breasts
- 1 cup navy beans
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- Avocado for topping, optional
- Green onions for topping
- Soak navy beans the night before. Put beans in the large pot and once you get rolling boil, take them off the stove and throw that water away. Pour new water and cook them 3 hours until the're tender and cooked. In the mean time grill chicken and start preparing the rest.
- Sauté onion in olive oil for 10-15 minutes, chop up the red bell pepper and jalapeño. Once the onion has softened, add the red pepper and jalapeño. Allow them to soften slightly (1-2 minutes).
- Chop the garlic and add the garlic to the pot. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chilies, cumin, and basil. Stir to combine.
- Add tomatoes and their juices and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Add the shredded chicken, 4 cups of the bean cooking water (discard the rest of the liquid) and drained navy beans.
- Simmer for 10 minutes before serving.
- Top with avocado and green onions, if desired.